Each time I interview Michael Lewis, I study one thing new.
My excuse to talk this time was Season 3 of his podcast Towards the Guidelines. In prepping for the interview, I discovered a number of new issues.
After 30 years, the audio rights to Liar’s Poker had reverted again to Lewis. He decides to re-read after which report a whole and uncut audio model of Liar’s Poker himself (and a brief companion podcast). If that’s not price at the very least one of many 5 segments within the present, I don’t know what’s.
Because the final time I learn the e-book was within the Nineties, now I should reread the e-book about Solomon Brothers bond buying and selling desk. However I can’t discover my copy – we’re repainting, the whole lot is in bins. The e-book was revealed in 1989, and from that perspective, 2022 is the long run. I automagically switch the e-book onto certainly one of my transportable glass slabs and get to studying.
Listed here are my 10 takeaways:
1. 100% Recent: I used to be shocked by how contemporary and new the e-book was to me. Positive, a few of it was vaguely acquainted, however I didn’t recall in nice element loads of it (25 years does that). It was vibrant and enjoyable and if not fairly present, the voice and tone felt new. General, I loved studying it about as a lot as every other work by Michael Lewis (that means, rather a lot).
“Understanding about markets is realizing about different individuals’s weaknesses.”
2. Historical Wall Avenue: It’s a time capsule, capturing a second on Wall Avenue that has not existed for a decade or extra. The primary characters in Liars Poker – John Meriwether, mortgage division head Lewis Ranieri, CEO John Gutfreund – have turn out to be a part of Wall Avenue lore. However Algos/HFT have changed these egos of those characters, and a quieter breed of pros run their companies extra for cash, not glory. It displays a really particular second in historical past, however it felt a lot nearer to at present than I anticipated.
“Man for man Salomon brothers was in 1985 the world’s most worthwhile company.”
3. Characters drive the whole lot: The prose is readable (if at occasions unsteady) however it’s Lewis’ depictions of all of Solly’s characters that make the e-book actually sing. They’re totally fleshed out, and distinct from each other, all very recognizable. When you’ve got labored on a buying and selling desk and/or a big sell-side agency, you already know all of those sorts – solely your guys have been in all probability not named the “Human Piranha” or “Sprint Riprock.”
“The very first thing you study on a buying and selling flooring is that when massive numbers of persons are after the identical commodity be it a inventory a bond or a job the commodity rapidly turns into overvalued.”
4. The writer is each narrator and protagonist: That is the one finance e-book he inserts himself into (Lewis additionally performs himself in “Coach”). However in each different e-book he has written, Lewis is the storyteller however not a part of the story. And even the place he has a job to play – see, The Blind Facet or The Undoing Mission – is confined to the intro or the epilogue.
“Had Volcker by no means pushed by way of his radical change in coverage, the world can be many bond merchants and one memoir the poorer.”
5. Lewis continues to be discovering his voice: The Michael Lewis you already know and love at present shouldn’t be totally fashioned, however a piece in progress in his first e-book. However there are apparent glimmers of him. Within the chapters the place he takes administration to activity for his or her gross incompetency and blind greed, we discover classic Lewis. His distinctive voice will get stronger and extra assured because the e-book progresses.
This quote is classic Lewis:
“A Solomon salesman who previously had moved $5 million price of merchandise by way of the merchants e-book every week was now transferring $300 million by way of every day.”
6. LOL Fiduciary Rule: Skinning shoppers, dumping crappy merchandise on them, blowing them up — this was all a part of the vernacular. Not this was not a boiler room, however relatively, among the best companies on Wall Avenue. “Caveat Emptor” was the tenet and woe to the consumer who didn’t notice this.
7. Hints of future books are scattered all through: The oddball characters, outsiders who spot a chance or impending catastrophe, are all right here. Liar’s Poker additionally foreshadows future books: Most clearly the give attention to Solomon’s creation and buying and selling of mortgage bonds is a precursor to the Large Quick; the rise of the geeks and techies presages Moneyball and maybe even Flashboys; the disdain for experience is a prelim take a look at The Fifth Danger and The Premonition;
“Whether or not Lehman’s misfortune was immediately associated to its unwillingness to confess it was out to earn a living I have no idea.”
8. Debt and Borrowing OMG!: The e-book talks rather a lot about America’s debtors and the evils of extra debt. It’s superb how dated that is at present, with characters warning of the upcoming weakening of the US greenback and different financial troubles, none of which has come to move.
With the good thing about hindsight, the standard view on debt, the greenback, and U.S. creditworthiness have been completely improper:
“American governments, shoppers, and firms borrowed cash at a sooner clip throughout the Nineteen Eighties than ever earlier than: this meant the quantity of bonds exploded (one other approach to have a look at that is traders have been lending extra money extra freely than ever earlier than). The mixed indebtedness of the three teams in 1977 was 323 billion a lot of which wasn’t bonds however loans by industrial banks by 1985 the three teams had borrowed $7 trillion.”
9. He saved a pocket book: Not his regular strategy, he saved each day notes about his experiences. He was publishing articles in locations like The Wall Avenue Journal below his personal identify, and inflicting issues for administration. He was so properly considered that the compromise (lol) was for him to publish below a nom de plume.
In the course of the 1987 crash, he walked across the Forty first-floor buying and selling room jotting down notes into his journal in plain view of everybody (nobody observed, as they have been a bit of busy).
“Individuals who imagine themselves of social consequence have a tendency to depart extra of a paper path, within the types of memoirs and anecdotiana.”
10. The Identify Liar’s Poker: The e-book was virtually had a really totally different title: Quick and Unfastened within the Golden Years, Bond Fever, Spellbond, Burn Out, The Empire Builders, Disposable Belongings, Different Folks’s Cash, Bonds of Ardour all have been within the operating.
“I had a fantastic title staring me within the face and I didn’t even realize it,” he mentioned.
10B. Hilarious footnote: Publishers have been so inspired by the success of Liar’s Poker that they wished Lewis to write down a novel, which Lewis it took a number of 100 pages of drafting earlier than he realized what a horrible concept that was.
One of many attention-grabbing takeaways Lewis has mentioned earlier than has been that he thought he was writing a cautionary story that will deter younger individuals from coming into the occupation – as he discovered, it solely inspired a lot of them. That has since morphed right into a deeper understanding of his craft: All an writer can do is put their e-book on the market; how it’s perceived and what it means is as much as
In case you haven’t learn Liar’s Poker in many years, then think about this a robust endorsement. On the very least, it’s going to maintain you till the following Michael Lewis e-book comes out.
MiB: Michael Lewis on Specialists (Coming in Could 2022)
MiB: Michael Lewis on Pandemic Planning (Could 8, 2021)
MiB: Michael Lewis on Coaches and Danger (Could 25, 2020)
MIB: Michael Lewis, Podcaster (April 6, 2019)
MIB: Michael Lewis on a Author’s Life (December 13, 2016)
Leave a Reply