Index Investing News
Sunday, May 24, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • World
  • Investing
  • Financial
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Stocks
  • Crypto
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
  • Home
  • World
  • Investing
  • Financial
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Stocks
  • Crypto
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
Index Investing News
No Result
View All Result

UAW presses Detroit automakers for better offer, threatens more walkouts By Reuters

by Index Investing News
October 21, 2023
in Financial
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
0
Home Financial
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


© Reuters. FILE PHOTO: United Auto Workers (UAW) union members picket outside the General Motors Powertrain plant in Warren, Michigan September 24, 2007. REUTERS/Rebecca Cook/File Photo

By Joseph White and Ben Klayman

DETROIT (Reuters) -United Auto Workers President Shawn Fain on Friday warned of more walkouts at U.S. truck and SUV factories unless the Detroit Three automakers improved wage and benefit offers, insisting companies could afford more than the record packages on the table.

“We’re striking the Big Three like we’ve never struck before,” Fain said. “These extremely profitable companies have more to give.”

After five weeks of strikes, Fain said the UAW had received fresh contract offers from General Motors (NYSE:) and Chrysler-parent Stellantis (NYSE:) in the past 24 hours. Ford made its newest offer over two weeks ago.

Fain confirmed the Detroit Three had converged on a 23% wage hike offer and made progress on other issues. But he told UAW members “there is more to be won”. GM and Ford say additional cost-of-living increases already take their total compensation offers to over 30%.

Fain acknowledged some UAW members want to vote on the offers in hand but urged them not to give in to “fear, uncertainty, doubt and division” that he said were sowed by the companies.

While warning of possible expanded strikes, Fain also told UAW members the talks were closing in on an end. “That’s the hardest part of a strike,” he said. “Right before a deal is when there’s the most aggressive push for that last mile. “

Shares in GM and Ford both closed up about 1% on Friday, before Fain spoke.

The union opened bargaining with a demand for a 40% wage hike. Walkouts began at the three automakers on Sept. 15 and now more than 34,000 union members are waging the UAW’s first simultaneous strikes against the Detroit Three.

TOUGH ON FORD

Friday’s progress in talks followed the UAW’s surprise strike last week at Ford’s big Kentucky Truck Plant, which generates $25 billion in annual sales.

Fain had described the Kentucky walkout as a warning to GM and Stellantis.

Ford, which has had the highest offer among the three, has said it is at the limit of what it can pay and remain competitive.

Some of Fain’s toughest rhetoric Friday was directed at Ford and Bill Ford, company chair and great-grandson of founder Henry Ford. For decades, Ford has cultivated a collaborative relationship with the UAW as a competitive advantage against GM and the former Chrysler, now Stellantis.

Fain declared “the days of the UAW and Ford being a team to fight other companies are over.”

He also called out Ford’s $600 million fourth-quarter dividend, saying it would amount to about a dollar an hour raise for all Ford hourly workers for the entire life of a new contract.

“What Ford is showing us is that the money is there. They just don’t want us to have it,” Fain said.

Automakers have said union demands would significantly raise costs and hobble their electric vehicle ambitions. EV leader Tesla (NASDAQ:) and foreign brands such as Toyota (NYSE:) are non-unionized.

Ford said in a statement after Fain spoke that it was “eager to conclude these negotiations,” citing lost wages and profit sharing by the workers.

Stellantis had no immediate comment.

Bill Ford has warned the strike was taking a toll on the automaker and the U.S. economy. Economic consultancy Anderson Economic Group has estimated that total economic losses from the strike have reached $7.7 billion, with the Detroit Three suffering losses of $3.45 billion.

Ford Motor (NYSE:) has not yet talked about how the EV battery plants it plans to build in joint ventures with Asian battery makers might fit under the UAW master agreement.

On Friday, Fain did not mention the battery plants. The UAW wants automakers to allow the union to organize their workers, and raise their wages significantly from current levels that are below assembly plant pay scales.



Source link

Tags: AutomakersDetroitOfferPressesReutersthreatensUAWwalkouts
ShareTweetShareShare
Previous Post

Biden’s speech on Israel and Ukraine draws 20.3 million viewers -Nielsen By Reuters

Next Post

Biden Speaks, but Will He Act?

Related Posts

Mamdani Mendacity – Balanced Budgets and  World Cup Tickets

Mamdani Mendacity – Balanced Budgets and $50 World Cup Tickets

by Index Investing News
May 23, 2026
0

In the famous Tennessee Williams play, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Big Daddy says: "There ain't nothin' more powerful...

TDV: Technology Dashboard For May (BATS:TDV)

TDV: Technology Dashboard For May (BATS:TDV)

by Index Investing News
May 15, 2026
0

This article was written byFollowFred Piard, PhD. is a quantitative analyst and IT professional with over 30 years of experience...

Microsoft Israel chief leaves amid ethical controversy

Microsoft Israel chief leaves amid ethical controversy

by Index Investing News
May 11, 2026
0

Last week Microsoft Israel, the local marketing and sales office of the US software giant, announced the departure of...

Dabur India net up 16% at ₹362 crore in March quarter, revenue up 7.3%

Dabur India net up 16% at ₹362 crore in March quarter, revenue up 7.3%

by Index Investing News
May 7, 2026
0

Mohit Malhotra, Global CEO, Dabur India Dabur India posted a consolidated net profit of ₹362 crore in the March quarter,...

A .5 Billion Contract Isn’t Enough Without Profits

A $7.5 Billion Contract Isn’t Enough Without Profits

by Index Investing News
May 3, 2026
0

Quick Read Jim Cramer said no to Applied Digital (APLD) despite its $7.5 billion CoreWeave contract, arguing the company is...

Next Post
Biden Speaks, but Will He Act?

Biden Speaks, but Will He Act?

FBI Busts Indian Citizen Group For  Million Crypto-To-Cash Money Laundering Scheme

FBI Busts Indian Citizen Group For $15 Million Crypto-To-Cash Money Laundering Scheme

RECOMMENDED

Taking Profits On The Gap (NYSE:GPS)

Taking Profits On The Gap (NYSE:GPS)

September 22, 2023
10 Thursday AM Reads – The Massive Image

10 Thursday AM Reads – The Massive Image

August 11, 2022
Rail stocks, Arconic, NextEra Energy and more

Rail stocks, Arconic, NextEra Energy and more

September 18, 2022
The Best Assets To Invest In During A Recession

The Best Assets To Invest In During A Recession

November 2, 2022
North Korea ICBM may have failed in flight, officials say; allies extend major drills

North Korea ICBM may have failed in flight, officials say; allies extend major drills

November 3, 2022
Tilray Inventory Outlook | Study Extra

Tilray Inventory Outlook | Study Extra

March 31, 2022
Butterfly Network Hardware Sales Disappoint

Butterfly Network Hardware Sales Disappoint

April 30, 2023
Opinion | What Is the Worst Model of a Second Trump Administration?

Opinion | What Is the Worst Model of a Second Trump Administration?

November 8, 2024
Index Investing News

Get the latest news and follow the coverage of Investing, World News, Stocks, Market Analysis, Business & Financial News, and more from the top trusted sources.

  • 1717575246.7
  • Browse the latest news about investing and more
  • Contact us
  • Cookie Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
  • xtw18387b488

Copyright © 2022 - Index Investing News.
Index Investing News is not responsible for the content of external sites.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • Investing
  • Financial
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Stocks
  • Crypto
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

Copyright © 2022 - Index Investing News.
Index Investing News is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In