Index Investing News
Monday, May 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • World
  • Investing
  • Financial
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Stocks
  • Crypto
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
  • Home
  • World
  • Investing
  • Financial
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Stocks
  • Crypto
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
Index Investing News
No Result
View All Result

Sudan conflict displaces over 1.3 million, including some 320K to neighboring countries

by Index Investing News
May 24, 2023
in World
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
0
Home World
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


CAIRO (AP) — The fighting between Sudan’s military and a powerful paramilitary force has displaced more than 1.3 million people, the U.N. migration agency said Wednesday.

The International Organization for Migration said the clashes have forced over 1 million people to leave their homes to safer areas inside Sudan. Some 320,000 others have fled to the neighboring countries of Egypt, South Sudan, Chad, Ethiopia, the Central African Republic and Libya.

The fighting erupted on April 15 after months of escalating tensions between the military, led by Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan, and the Rapid Support Forces commanded by Gen. Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo. The conflict derailed Sudanese hopes of restoring the country’s fragile transition to democracy, which was disrupted by a military coup led by the two generals in October 2021.

The conflict has killed at least 863 civilians, including at least 190 children, and wounded more than 3,530 others, according to the most recent numbers from the Sudanese Doctors’ Syndicate — which mainly tracks civilian casualties. It has also pushed the East African country to near collapse, with urban areas in the capital, Khartoum, and its neighboring city of Omdurman turning into battlegrounds.

Egypt is hosting the largest number of those who fled, with at least 132,360 people, followed by Chad with 80,000 and South Sudan with over 69,000, the agency added.

Sporadic fighting continued Wednesday in several areas, despite a cease-fire reached this week. Residents reported hearing gunshots and explosions in central Khartoum as well as areas close to military facilities in Omdurman.

The weeklong cease-fire, which was brokered by the United States and Saudi Arabia, took effect Monday night. It was the latest international effort to push for humanitarian aid delivery to the conflict-torn country.

A joint statement from the U.S. and Saudi Arabia late Tuesday warned that neither the Sudanese military nor the Rapid Support Forces observed the short-term cease-fire.

“The Sudanese people continue to suffer as a result of this devastating conflict,” the statement said. It called on both sides to “fully abide by their commitments” and to implement the temporary cease-fire to deliver urgently needed humanitarian relief.

Earlier on Tuesday, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken cautioned both parties of possible sanctions if the latest cease-fire was not adhered to.

The fighting has exacerbated the already dire humanitarian conditions in Sudan. According to the U.N., the number of people who need assistance this year has increased by 57% to reach 24.7 million people, more than half the country’s population. The international body said it would need $2.6 billion to provide them with much-needed humanitarian assistance.

___

Associated Press writer Jon Gambrell contributed from Dubai, the United Arab Emirates.



Source link

Tags: 320KconflictcountriesdisplacesIncludingmillionNeighboringSudan
ShareTweetShareShare
Previous Post

COVID-19: Looking Both Ways | Stock Gumshoe

Next Post

Behind the Seams Designer Series with Jordan B.

Related Posts

Oklahoma sues Roblox, AG claims online game ‘exploited minors’

Oklahoma sues Roblox, AG claims online game ‘exploited minors’

by Index Investing News
May 15, 2026
0

Oklahoma became the 12th U.S. state to sue Roblox on Thursday. WASHINGTON — The Oklahoma attorney general announced he was...

Prosecutors cite terrorist intent in bomb attack on headquarters of Dutch ruling party

Prosecutors cite terrorist intent in bomb attack on headquarters of Dutch ruling party

by Index Investing News
May 11, 2026
0

THE HAGUE, Netherlands -- A 37-year-old man accused of a bomb attack on the Dutch premier’s party headquarters is suspected...

Australian women, children linked to ISIS return from Syria

Australian women, children linked to ISIS return from Syria

by Index Investing News
May 7, 2026
0

Listen to this articleEstimated 4 minutesThe audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We...

Spam—not the tasty kind—debuted on this day — Science & Technology — Sott.net

Spam—not the tasty kind—debuted on this day — Science & Technology — Sott.net

by Index Investing News
May 3, 2026
0

© Tom Kelly/Getty On this day in 1978, a marketing manager for a Massachusetts computer company unknowingly made history: He...

Bangladesh enters nuclear era with Russian-built power project (VIDEO) — RT World News

Bangladesh enters nuclear era with Russian-built power project (VIDEO) — RT World News

by Index Investing News
April 29, 2026
0

RT India reports from the Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant on a major milestone for the South Asian nation The beginning...

Next Post
Behind the Seams Designer Series with Jordan B.

Behind the Seams Designer Series with Jordan B.

Investment Grade Positioning And 3 Things To Watch Closely

Investment Grade Positioning And 3 Things To Watch Closely

RECOMMENDED

6 big analyst cuts: Microsoft cut down ahead of earnings

6 big analyst cuts: Microsoft cut down ahead of earnings

April 25, 2023
Bentley China orders slowed by shutdowns, has no IPO plans By Reuters

Bentley China orders slowed by shutdowns, has no IPO plans By Reuters

December 7, 2022
Raytheon, Kongsberg to further develop NASAMS missile system, Norway says By Reuters

Raytheon, Kongsberg to further develop NASAMS missile system, Norway says By Reuters

October 31, 2023
Glenmark Pharma, Merck To Face Jury Trial In Zetia Antitrust Case

Glenmark Pharma, Merck To Face Jury Trial In Zetia Antitrust Case

February 15, 2023
7 Methods To Enhance Your Happines This Thanksgiving

7 Methods To Enhance Your Happines This Thanksgiving

November 24, 2024
Microsoft Urges Shareholders To Reject Bitcoin Funding Proposal

Microsoft Urges Shareholders To Reject Bitcoin Funding Proposal

October 25, 2024
NFL Will Offer Taylor Swift Biggest Deal EVER For Next Year’s Super Bowl LIX Halftime Show: Report

NFL Will Offer Taylor Swift Biggest Deal EVER For Next Year’s Super Bowl LIX Halftime Show: Report

February 29, 2024
Pharma regulator objects to ‘Red Light District’ relocation — RT World News

Pharma regulator objects to ‘Red Light District’ relocation — RT World News

March 7, 2023
Index Investing News

Get the latest news and follow the coverage of Investing, World News, Stocks, Market Analysis, Business & Financial News, and more from the top trusted sources.

  • 1717575246.7
  • Browse the latest news about investing and more
  • Contact us
  • Cookie Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
  • xtw18387b488

Copyright © 2022 - Index Investing News.
Index Investing News is not responsible for the content of external sites.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • Investing
  • Financial
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Stocks
  • Crypto
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

Copyright © 2022 - Index Investing News.
Index Investing News is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In