Index Investing News
Saturday, May 23, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • World
  • Investing
  • Financial
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Stocks
  • Crypto
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
  • Home
  • World
  • Investing
  • Financial
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Stocks
  • Crypto
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
Index Investing News
No Result
View All Result

North Korea ICBM may have failed in flight, officials say; allies extend major drills

by Index Investing News
November 3, 2022
in World
Reading Time: 5 mins read
A A
0
Home World
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


TOKYO/SEOUL: North Korea fired multiple ballistic missiles on Thursday, including a possible failed intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) that triggered an alert for residents in parts of central and northern Japan to seek shelter.
Despite an initial government warning that a missile had flown over Japan, Tokyo later said that was incorrect.
Officials in South Korea and Japan said the missile may have been an ICBM, which are North Korea’s longest-range weapons, and are designed to carry a nuclear warhead to the other side of the planet.
South Korean officials believe the ICBM failed in flight, Yonhap news agency reported, without elaborating. Spokespeople for the South Korean and Japanese ministries of defence declined to confirm the possible failure.
Japanese Defence Minister Yasukazu Hamada said the government lost track of the missile over the Sea of Japan, prompting it to correct its announcement that it had flown over Japan.
Retired Vice Admiral and former Japan Maritime Self Defense Force fleet commander Yoji Koda said the loss of radar tracking on the projectile pointed to a failed launch.
“It means at some point in the flight path there was some problem for the missile and it actually came apart,” he said.
Although the warhead came down in the sea between the Korean peninsula and Japan, debris would have been travelling at high speed and may still have passed over Japan, Koda added.
North Korea has had several failed ICBM tests this year, according to South Korean and U.S. officials.
The United States condemned North Korea’s ICBM launch, State Department spokesman Ned Price said in a statement. “This launch is a clear violation of multiple United Nations Security Council resolutions,” he said.
It also demonstrates the threat from North Korea’s unlawful weapons of mass destruction and ballistic missile programmes, Price added.
The launches came after Pyongyang demanded the United States and South Korea stop large-scale military exercises, saying such “military rashness and provocation can be no longer tolerated”.
It has said that a recent flurry of missile launches and other military activities were in protest against such drills.
The allies have been conducting one of the largest air exercises ever, with hundreds of South Korean and U.S. warplanes, including F-35 fighters, staging around-the-clock simulated missions.
After Thursday’s ICBM launch, the allies agreed to extend the drills past Friday, when they had been scheduled to end, South Korea’s Air Force said in a statement.
“A strong combined defense posture of the ROK-U.S. alliance is necessary under the current security crisis that is escalating due to North Korean provocations,” the statement said, using the initials of South Korea’s official name.
EMERGENCY WARNINGS
North Korea also launched two short-range ballistic missiles on Thursday.
The launches came after North Korea fired at least 23 missiles on Wednesday, the most in a single day, including one that landed off South Korea’s coast for the first time.
South Korea issued rare air raid warnings and launched its own missiles in response after Wednesday’s barrage. On Thursday, the South’s transportation ministry announced that air routes had reopened in the area where the missile had fallen, having been closed for around 24 hours.
After the first launch on Thursday, residents of Miyagi, Yamagata and Niigata prefectures in Japan were warned to seek shelter indoors, according to the J-Alert Emergency Broadcasting System.
“We detected a launch that showed the potential to fly over Japan and therefore triggered the J Alert, but after checking the flight we confirmed that it had not passed over Japan,” Hamada told reporters.
The first missile flew to an altitude of about 2,000 kilometres (1,242 miles) and a range of 750 km, he said. Such a flight pattern is called a “lofted trajectory”, in which a missile is fired high into space to avoid flying over neighbouring countries.
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said the long-range missile was launched from near the North Korean capital, Pyongyang.
About an hour after the first launch, South Korea’s military and the Japanese coast guard reported a second and third launch from North Korea. South Korea said both of those were short-range missiles fired from Kaechon, north of Pyongyang.
REGIONAL REACTION
South Korean Vice Foreign Minister Cho Hyun-dong and U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman strongly condemned North Korea’s series of missile launches as “deplorable and immoral” during a phone call on Thursday, Seoul’s foreign ministry said.
In brief comments to reporters a few minutes later, Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said, “North Korea’s repeated missile launches are an outrage and absolutely cannot be forgiven.”
Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian on Thursday at a regular news briefing avoided commenting directly on the missile launches or potential sanctions on North Korea, instead repeating the standard line from Beijing that it hoped all parties could peacefully resolve issues through dialogue.
U.S. President Joe Biden and his national security team were “assessing the situation,” National Security Council spokesperson Adrienne Watson said in a statement, which added that the United States would take “all necessary measures” to ensure security.
After North Korea’s launches on Wednesday, including one missile that landed less than 60 km (40 miles) off South Korea’s coast, South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol described the flights as “territorial encroachment” and Washington denounced them as “reckless”.
On Oct. 4, North Korea launched a ballistic missile over Japan for the first time in five years, prompted a warning for residents there to take cover. It was the farthest North Korea had ever fired a missile.





Source link

Tags: AlliesdrillsextendFailedflightICBMKoreaMajorNorthOfficials
ShareTweetShareShare
Previous Post

Litecoin pre-halving fractal hints at 200% LTC price rally by July 2023

Next Post

Digital Asset Platform Bakkt Agrees to Buy Apex Crypto for Up to $200M

Related Posts

Pakistan sentences man to death for killing TikTok star Sana Yousaf | Gender Equity News

Pakistan sentences man to death for killing TikTok star Sana Yousaf | Gender Equity News

by Index Investing News
May 19, 2026
0

The verdict against Umar Hayat who killed a teenage influencer in her home ‘is for the entire society’, her father...

Oklahoma sues Roblox, AG claims online game ‘exploited minors’

Oklahoma sues Roblox, AG claims online game ‘exploited minors’

by Index Investing News
May 15, 2026
0

Oklahoma became the 12th U.S. state to sue Roblox on Thursday. WASHINGTON — The Oklahoma attorney general announced he was...

Prosecutors cite terrorist intent in bomb attack on headquarters of Dutch ruling party

Prosecutors cite terrorist intent in bomb attack on headquarters of Dutch ruling party

by Index Investing News
May 11, 2026
0

THE HAGUE, Netherlands -- A 37-year-old man accused of a bomb attack on the Dutch premier’s party headquarters is suspected...

Australian women, children linked to ISIS return from Syria

Australian women, children linked to ISIS return from Syria

by Index Investing News
May 7, 2026
0

Listen to this articleEstimated 4 minutesThe audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We...

Spam—not the tasty kind—debuted on this day — Science & Technology — Sott.net

Spam—not the tasty kind—debuted on this day — Science & Technology — Sott.net

by Index Investing News
May 3, 2026
0

© Tom Kelly/Getty On this day in 1978, a marketing manager for a Massachusetts computer company unknowingly made history: He...

Next Post
Digital Asset Platform Bakkt Agrees to Buy Apex Crypto for Up to 0M

Digital Asset Platform Bakkt Agrees to Buy Apex Crypto for Up to $200M

‘Obvious truths’ about inflation that are nothing of the sort

‘Obvious truths’ about inflation that are nothing of the sort

RECOMMENDED

Dividend Aristocrats In Focus: Fastenal Co.

Dividend Aristocrats In Focus: Fastenal Co.

February 21, 2025
Which Will Make YOU More Money in 2023?

Which Will Make YOU More Money in 2023?

April 27, 2023
Merck & Co., Inc. (MRK) This autumn 2024 Earnings Name Transcript

Merck & Co., Inc. (MRK) This autumn 2024 Earnings Name Transcript

February 4, 2025
Has the Short-Term Rental Goldmine Run Dry?

Has the Short-Term Rental Goldmine Run Dry?

January 10, 2023
A big AI and robotics idea that has attracted Walmart and Softbank

A big AI and robotics idea that has attracted Walmart and Softbank

October 9, 2023
Queen Camilla Thanked Piers Morgan For Dissing Meghan Markle!?

Queen Camilla Thanked Piers Morgan For Dissing Meghan Markle!?

November 26, 2023
Russia-Ukraine battle: Listing of key occasions, day 86 | Russia-Ukraine battle Information

Russia-Ukraine battle: Listing of key occasions, day 86 | Russia-Ukraine battle Information

May 20, 2022
AT&T: Strong Buy With A 6 P/E And A 7% Dividend (NYSE:T)

AT&T: Strong Buy With A 6 P/E And A 7% Dividend (NYSE:T)

June 22, 2023
Index Investing News

Get the latest news and follow the coverage of Investing, World News, Stocks, Market Analysis, Business & Financial News, and more from the top trusted sources.

  • 1717575246.7
  • Browse the latest news about investing and more
  • Contact us
  • Cookie Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
  • xtw18387b488

Copyright © 2022 - Index Investing News.
Index Investing News is not responsible for the content of external sites.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • Investing
  • Financial
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Stocks
  • Crypto
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

Copyright © 2022 - Index Investing News.
Index Investing News is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In