Index Investing News
Sunday, May 24, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • World
  • Investing
  • Financial
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Stocks
  • Crypto
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
  • Home
  • World
  • Investing
  • Financial
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Stocks
  • Crypto
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
Index Investing News
No Result
View All Result

Judge threatens to hold Donald Trump in contempt after deleted post is found on campaign website

by Index Investing News
October 20, 2023
in World
Reading Time: 5 mins read
A A
0
Home World
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
NEW YORK: Donald Trump’s civil fraud trial judge threatened Friday to hold him in contempt, raising the possibility of fining or even jailing the former president because his disparaging social media post about a key court staffer remained visible for weeks on his campaign website after the judge ordered it deleted.
Judge Arthur Engoron said the website’s retention of the post was a “blatant violation” of his October 3 order requiring Trump to immediately delete the offending message. The limited gag order, hours after Trump posted the message on the trial’s second day, also barred him and others involved in the case from personal attacks on members of Engoron’s judicial staff.
Engoron did not immediately rule on sanctioning Trump, the front-runner for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, but noted that “in this current overheated climate” incendiary posts have led to harm.
Trump wasn’t in court on Friday. He’d been at the trial Tuesday and Wednesday after attending the first three days in early October. Outside court this week, he aimed his enmity at Engoron and New York Attorney General Letitia James, whose fraud lawsuit is being decided at the civil trial. Neither are covered by Engoron’s gag order.
Trump lawyer Christopher Kise blamed the “very large machine” of Trump’s presidential campaign for allowing a version of his deleted social media post to remain on his website, calling it an unintentional oversight.
Engoron, however, said the buck ultimately stops with Trump – even if it was someone on his campaign who failed to remove the offending post.
“I’ll take this under advisement,” Engoron said after Kise explained the mechanics of how Trump’s post was able to remain online. “But I want to be clear that Donald Trump is still responsible for the large machine even if it’s a large machine.”
Engoron issued a limited gag order on October 3 barring all participants in the case not to smear court personnel after Trump publicly maligned the judge’s principal law clerk, Allison Greenfield, in what Engoron deemed a “disparaging, untrue and personally identifying” Truth Social post. The judge ordered Trump to delete the post, which he did, and warned of “serious sanctions” for violations.
The post included a photo of Greenfield, posing with Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-NY, at a public event. Trump wrote that it was “disgraceful” that Greenfield was working with Engoron on the case.
Before Trump deleted the post from his Truth Social platform, as ordered, his campaign copied the message into an email blast. That email, with the subject line “ICYMI,” was automatically archived on Trump’s website, Kise said.
The email was sent to about 25,800 recipients on the campaign’s media list and opened by about 6,700 of them, Kise told Engoron after obtaining the statistics at the morning break. In all, only 3,700 people viewed the post on Trump’s campaign website, the lawyer said.
“What happened appears truly inadvertent,” Kise said. The lawyer pleaded ignorance to the technological complexities involved in amplifying Trump’s social media posts and public statements, calling the archiving “an unfortunate part of the campaign process.”
New York law allows judges to impose fines or imprisonment as punishment for contempt. Last year, Engoron held Trump in contempt and fined him USD 110,000 for being slow to respond to a subpoena in the investigation that led to the lawsuit.
James’ lawsuit accuses Trump and his company of duping banks and insurers by giving them heavily inflated statements of Trump’s net worth and asset values. Engoron has already ruled that Trump and his company committed fraud, but the trial involves remaining claims of conspiracy, insurance fraud and falsifying business records.
Trump denies wrongdoing, arguing that a disclaimer on his financial statements absolves him of any culpability and that some of his assets are worth far more than what’s listed on the documents. He’s called the trial a “sham,” a “scam,” and “a continuation of the single greatest witch hunt of all time.”
The contempt discussion brought unexpected drama to a sleepy Friday ahead of what’s shaping up to be a busy week at the Manhattan trial. Trump’s onetime lawyer and fixer Michael Cohen, now a key state witness, said he’ll likely be on the witness stand Tuesday after postponing this week because of a health issue.
On Friday, property appraiser David McArdle resumed his testimony about Trump’s son Eric Trump’s “lofty ideas” for valuing some of his father’s properties and development plans. A Trump Organisation executive who worked on Trump’s 2016 financial statement also testified and will resume Monday.
Trump and his two eldest sons, Eric and Donald Trump Jr., are expected to testify in a few weeks. His daughter, Ivanka Trump, is fighting a subpoena for her testimony. Engoron set a hearing on that dispute for next week.
Ivanka Trump was initially a defendant, but an appeals court dropped her from the case in June after finding that claims against her were outside the statute of limitations. Her lawyer argued in court papers Thursday that state lawyers failed to properly serve her subpoena and that she shouldn’t be forced to testify because she isn’t a party to the case and lives outside the court’s New York jurisdiction.
James’ office never questioned Ivanka Trump at a deposition and is now “effectively trying to force her back into this case,” her lawyer, Bennet Moskowitz, wrote.





Source link

Tags: campaignContemptDELETEDDonaldHoldJudgepostthreatensTrumpWebsite
ShareTweetShareShare
Previous Post

Does Our Portfolio Need Some Datadog Stock?

Next Post

Britney Spears Admits She Was ‘S**t-Faced’ & Absolutely ‘NOT IN LOVE’ During Vegas Wedding!

Related Posts

U.S. F-16s hold the line in the Gulf after Iran campaign ends

U.S. F-16s hold the line in the Gulf after Iran campaign ends

by Index Investing News
May 23, 2026
0

Key PointsU.S. Air Force F-16s conducted patrols in the CENTCOM area of responsibility on May 14, 2026, carrying mixed air-to-ground...

Pakistan sentences man to death for killing TikTok star Sana Yousaf | Gender Equity News

Pakistan sentences man to death for killing TikTok star Sana Yousaf | Gender Equity News

by Index Investing News
May 19, 2026
0

The verdict against Umar Hayat who killed a teenage influencer in her home ‘is for the entire society’, her father...

Oklahoma sues Roblox, AG claims online game ‘exploited minors’

Oklahoma sues Roblox, AG claims online game ‘exploited minors’

by Index Investing News
May 15, 2026
0

Oklahoma became the 12th U.S. state to sue Roblox on Thursday. WASHINGTON — The Oklahoma attorney general announced he was...

Prosecutors cite terrorist intent in bomb attack on headquarters of Dutch ruling party

Prosecutors cite terrorist intent in bomb attack on headquarters of Dutch ruling party

by Index Investing News
May 11, 2026
0

THE HAGUE, Netherlands -- A 37-year-old man accused of a bomb attack on the Dutch premier’s party headquarters is suspected...

Australian women, children linked to ISIS return from Syria

Australian women, children linked to ISIS return from Syria

by Index Investing News
May 7, 2026
0

Listen to this articleEstimated 4 minutesThe audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We...

Next Post
Britney Spears Admits She Was ‘S**t-Faced’ & Absolutely ‘NOT IN LOVE’ During Vegas Wedding!

Britney Spears Admits She Was 'S**t-Faced' & Absolutely 'NOT IN LOVE' During Vegas Wedding!

Breakdancers in Kenya hope Olympics will grow their scene

Breakdancers in Kenya hope Olympics will grow their scene

RECOMMENDED

Crypto Industry Body GBBC Joins Securities Regulator Group IOSCO as Affiliate Member

Crypto Industry Body GBBC Joins Securities Regulator Group IOSCO as Affiliate Member

February 16, 2023
Activist Elliott makes inroads at Catalent to build value. Here’s what could happen next

Activist Elliott makes inroads at Catalent to build value. Here’s what could happen next

September 16, 2023
Choose Leans Towards Contempt Proceedings For Trump Admin In Venezuelan Deportations Case – FREEDOMBUNKER

Choose Leans Towards Contempt Proceedings For Trump Admin In Venezuelan Deportations Case – FREEDOMBUNKER

April 5, 2025
Simple, But Hard – The Big Picture

Simple, But Hard – The Big Picture

January 31, 2023
Don’t Miss These 5 Events

Don’t Miss These 5 Events

September 11, 2023
What is Intestate Property? (Landlord’s Guide)

What is Intestate Property? (Landlord’s Guide)

November 9, 2023
NHL Over/Below Finest Guess: Utah Hockey Membership at Chicago Blackhawks, March 7, 2025

NHL Over/Below Finest Guess: Utah Hockey Membership at Chicago Blackhawks, March 7, 2025

March 8, 2025
West Virginia University’s  million budget shortfall

West Virginia University’s $45 million budget shortfall

August 22, 2023
Index Investing News

Get the latest news and follow the coverage of Investing, World News, Stocks, Market Analysis, Business & Financial News, and more from the top trusted sources.

  • 1717575246.7
  • Browse the latest news about investing and more
  • Contact us
  • Cookie Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
  • xtw18387b488

Copyright © 2022 - Index Investing News.
Index Investing News is not responsible for the content of external sites.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • Investing
  • Financial
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Stocks
  • Crypto
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

Copyright © 2022 - Index Investing News.
Index Investing News is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In