Index Investing News
Sunday, August 31, 2025
No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Home
  • World
  • Investing
  • Financial
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Stocks
  • Crypto
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
  • Home
  • World
  • Investing
  • Financial
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Stocks
  • Crypto
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
Index Investing News
No Result
View All Result

Macron says France to withdraw ambassador, troops from Niger

by Index Investing News
September 24, 2023
in World
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
0
Home World
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


French President Emmanuel Macron said Sunday that France will end its military presence in Niger and pull its ambassador out of the country after its democratically elected president was deposed in a coup.

The announcement is a significant, if predicted, blow to France’s policy in Africa, after French troops pulled out of neighbouring Mali and Burkina Faso in recent years after coups there. France had stationed thousands of troops in the region at the request of African leaders to fight jihadist groups.

France has maintained some 1,500 troops in Niger since the July coup and refused a request by the new junta for its ambassador to leave, saying that France didn’t recognize the coup leaders as legitimate.

Tensions between France and Niger, a former French colony, have mounted in recent weeks, and Macron said recently that diplomats were surviving on military rations as they holed up in the embassy.

In an interview with France-2 television, Macron said that he spoke Sunday to ousted President Mohamed Bazoum, and told him that “France has decided to bring back its ambassador, and in the coming hours our ambassador and several diplomats will return to France.”

Protesters hold a sign taken from the French Embassy in Niamey during a demonstration that followed a rally in support of Niger’s junta on July 30. (AFP/Getty Images)

He added, “And we will put an end to our military co-operation with the Niger authorities.” He said the troops would be gradually pulled out, likely by the end of the year.

He noted that France’s military presence in Niger was in response to a request from Niger’s government at the time.

The military co-operation between France and Niger had been suspended since the coup. The junta leaders claimed that Bazoum’s government wasn’t doing enough to protect the country from the insurgency.

The junta in August gave French Ambassador Sylvain Itte 48 hours to leave. After the deadline expired without France recalling him, the coup leaders then revoked his diplomatic immunity.

The junta is now under sanctions by Western and regional African powers.

In New York on Friday, the military government that seized power in Niger accused UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres of “obstructing” the West African nation’s full participation at the UN’s annual meeting of world leaders in order to appease France and its allies.



Source link

Tags: ambassadorFranceMacronNigerTroopswithdraw
ShareTweetShareShare
Previous Post

Wake-up call No. 1 | Mint

Next Post

Jamie Lee Curtis wants to star in One Piece

Related Posts

Xi meets Modi as China and India search to rebuild ties

Xi meets Modi as China and India search to rebuild ties

by Index Investing News
August 31, 2025
0

TIANJIN, China -- Chinese language chief Xi Jinping met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday forward of the...

‘Disenchanted however not shocked’: Fema staff placed on depart after dissent; company accused of retaliation

‘Disenchanted however not shocked’: Fema staff placed on depart after dissent; company accused of retaliation

by Index Investing News
August 27, 2025
0

Consultant picture (Image credit score: AP) The Federal Emergency Administration Company (Fema) has suspended round 30 staff after they signed...

US envoy lectures Lebanese journalists on ‘animalistic’ conduct (VIDEO) — RT World Information

US envoy lectures Lebanese journalists on ‘animalistic’ conduct (VIDEO) — RT World Information

by Index Investing News
August 27, 2025
0

Tom Barrack has sparked outrage together with his feedback at a press convention in Beirut US Ambassador to Türkiye and...

Inside Israel’s assault on Iran’s Evin Jail

Inside Israel’s assault on Iran’s Evin Jail

by Index Investing News
August 27, 2025
0

"For me, hell was not the second Israel attacked; hell was the second they would not open the door for...

Ought to the U.S. Let Turkey Again Into the F-35 Program? – The Cipher Temporary

Ought to the U.S. Let Turkey Again Into the F-35 Program? – The Cipher Temporary

by Index Investing News
August 26, 2025
0

“We mentioned the F-35 situation. We made funds of $1.3 to $1.4 billion for the jets, and we noticed that...

Next Post
Jamie Lee Curtis wants to star in One Piece

Jamie Lee Curtis wants to star in One Piece

Why so sad? – Econlib

Why so sad? - Econlib

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

RECOMMENDED

Michael Giacchino to direct Them reboot for Warner Bros.

Michael Giacchino to direct Them reboot for Warner Bros.

January 5, 2023
This billionaire Democrat is able to brawl –
Las Vegas Solar Information

This billionaire Democrat is able to brawl – Las Vegas Solar Information

April 4, 2025
Warren Buffett Shares: Common Motors

Warren Buffett Shares: Common Motors

July 17, 2022
Chelsea now agree £17m+ deal to signal “Neymar-esque” attacker

Chelsea now agree £17m+ deal to signal “Neymar-esque” attacker

August 5, 2024
Tesla’s China head Tom Zhu takes over sales in North America- Electrek By Reuters

Tesla’s China head Tom Zhu takes over sales in North America- Electrek By Reuters

January 3, 2023
Kathy Hochul, lawmakers steering New York right into a fiscal prepare wreck

Kathy Hochul, lawmakers steering New York right into a fiscal prepare wreck

March 25, 2025
Home Depot sees comparable sales fall 2% as big-ticket demand lags (NYSE:HD)

Home Depot sees comparable sales fall 2% as big-ticket demand lags (NYSE:HD)

August 15, 2023
Drake’s occasion compound, the ‘Yolo Property,’ sells for  million

Drake’s occasion compound, the ‘Yolo Property,’ sells for $12 million

June 28, 2022
Index Investing News

Get the latest news and follow the coverage of Investing, World News, Stocks, Market Analysis, Business & Financial News, and more from the top trusted sources.

  • 1717575246.7
  • Browse the latest news about investing and more
  • Contact us
  • Cookie Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
  • xtw18387b488

Copyright © 2022 - Index Investing News.
Index Investing News is not responsible for the content of external sites.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • Investing
  • Financial
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Stocks
  • Crypto
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion

Copyright © 2022 - Index Investing News.
Index Investing News is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In